A report by the University School of Public Health estimates that 95% of cancer is caused by diet and environmental toxicity. Most Americans have between 400 - 800 chemicals stored in their bodies, typically in fat cells. This is because the body uses fat to neutralize toxins. A report compiled by the CDC in 2009 stated that there are at least 212 toxins lodged in and circulating throughout our systems, many of which are carcinogens. Some of the short and long-term effects of these toxins include:
The decisions we make every day contribute to the environment and planet in which we live. When we make healthy, green living choices our environment evolves into the same, however when we opt for convenience and the status quo, we continue to contribute to a toxic environment which leads to a toxic body and sets the stage for chronic health conditions and diseases.
So how do we assist in creating an environment, planet and body that is pure and toxin free? Here are some easy Green Living tips you can put into practice today to reduce your exposure to toxins:
1. Eat Organic - is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of and the conservation of to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Foods are produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Organic foods are completely free of all chemicals, including herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, larvacides and food additives, all of which are toxic to living beings and our planet. Pesticides, herbicides and food additives have all been linked to numerous health problems, including cancer, nervous system disorders, birth defects, alterations in DNA, liver, kidney, lung and reproductive problems, weakened immune systems, allergies, and neurotoxicity resulting in poor concentration and reduced mental functioning and clarity. In 1987, The National Academy of Sciences concluded that in your lifetime, conventional foods will cause more than a million additional cases of cancer. These poisons are especially harmful to small children and their developing bodies. Organic foods also contribute to the health of the soil and water and increase the nutrient content of foods while decreasing toxic pollution of our land and water supply.
2. Choose Green Household Products - The products you use in and around your http://www.seventhgeneration.com/products have a direct impact on your health. The average american uses about 25 gallons of "TOXIC" or "HAZARDOUS" chemical products per year in their home. A major portion of these can be found in household cleaning products. The most acutely dangerous cleaning products are corrosive drain cleaners, oven cleaners, and acidic toilet bowl cleaners. Labels that come with detailed warnings stating, "Danger" or "Poison" are good indications that these products are not safe. Once used in your home, these products are flushed down the drain and end up in our environment. In a May 2002 study of contaminants in stream water samples across the country, the U.S. Geological Survey found persistent detergent metabolites in 69% of streams tested. Sixty-six percent contained disinfectants. Garden and lawn products also pose a potential risk. A study found children in homes where household and garden pesticides are used, have a sevenfold greater chance of developing childhood leukemia. Look for products that are biodegradable and toxin free. Seventh Generation is a good brand.
3. Buy Organic Personal Care Products - The average woman uses about 12 personal per day, the average man 6. Each product containing about a dozen or so chemicals which equates to about 150 toxic chemicals being used on your body DAILY. Some of these chemicals are carcinogens others are neurotoxins while others still are reproductive toxins, but only about 20% of all have been tested for their health effects. That leaves 80% of personal care product chemicals whose effects are completely unknown. Choose products that are completely natural, this means having ingredients that you know and are familiar with. Buy from companies whose commitment is to the preservation of health in every way. Most importantly READ LABELS! Companies who are committed to natural products make it well known on their labels such as "cruelty free, paraben free, eco friendly" and other environmentally and health safe labels.
4. Eat Whole - Foods that are processed or refined, meaning they come in a, can, package or other container are filled with additives, preservatives and other food chemicals. It is estimated that American spend about 90% of their food budget on processed and refined foods, which means 90% of what you eat is contaminated with toxic chemicals. The effect of processed versus natural foods effect on the immune system was tested and documented. It was found, the intake of processed foods so disturbed the pattern of of the immune system, that the disturbed pattern of the cells looked identical as the white blood cell patterns seen in infections. Further found, when processed meats were ingested, such as hot dogs and salami, the white blood cell pattern looked the same as is seen in sever food poisoning. Yuck! Stick with foods that are whole and have only 1 ingredient, that food! For instance the ingredients in a head of lettuce: lettuce, in an orange: orange. when you do have to buy a canned, boxed or packaged food make sure it is organic and read the labels. If there are words you cannot pronounce or do not know, put it back on the shelf. With a little bit of practice and awareness it is easy to switch to a 100% . Fresh made organic tomato sauce is so much better then that jarred stuff anyway.
5. Cleanse - No matter how conscious you are about your own personal lifestyle the fact is we live in a toxic environment. As the body is overwhelmed with toxic substances, food chemicals and additives, stress, negative thinking, nutritional choices such as unhealthy fats, sugar and processed foods it begins to slow and is unable to effectively eliminate the amount of toxicity that is being brought into the body. The un-eliminated toxins begin to accumulate, mostly within the fatty tissues in the body and organs and there they remain. These retained toxins slow down body processes and depleting energy, clouding the mind and causing health symptoms to begin to emerge. The impact over time on the mind, body, body organs, systems and processes is substantial and detrimental. Cleansing is one of the best approaches to preventative health care and an important component in a healthy, natural lifestyle.
The benefits of cleansing include:
- Increased energy
- Better sleep
- Improved digestion
- Weight Loss
- Disease prevention
- Health Symptom Reversal
Raw Vitality is beginning a 30-day group cleanse on Monday July 14th! This 30-day journey that will not only transform your body, but will transform your health and life forever!
Raw Vitality is a 30-day holistic health cleanse that targets all the key areas of health to create the highest levels of energy, radiant beauty and vibrant health! In 30-days you will purify your body, restore deficiencies, create healthy, natural eating practices, a consistent exercise routine, healthy stress management and balanced lifestyle practices.
Raw Vitality Includes:
- Whole, Organic Foods (30 days of receipes 3 meals/day)
- Fresh, Nutrient Rich Juices (30 days of receipes)
- Holistic Lifestyle Refinement
- Optimization of Digestion
- Healthy Stress Management
- Wellness Coaching
- Consistent, Balanced Exercise
- Cleansing Medicinal Herbs