A report by the Columbia University School of Public Health estimates that 95% of cancer is caused by diet and environmental toxicity. Most Americans have between 400 - 800 chemicals stored in their bodies, typically in fat cells. This is because the body uses fat to neutralize toxins. A report compiled by the CDC in 2009 stated that there are at least 212 toxins lodged in human tissues and circulating throughout our systems, many of which are carcinogens. Everything from autoimmune disorders, autism, allergies, cancer, obesity, neurological disorders and pretty much every health condition under the sun can be traced back to toxicity damaging our cells! So what are we to do?
Here are 5 Raw Vitality Holistic Health Tips to Reducing Your Exposure to Toxicity:
1. Eat Organic - Organic farming emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Foods are grown without using pesticides, synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge, GMO's or radiation. Organic foods are completely free of all chemicals, including herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, larvacides and food additives, all of which are toxic to living beings and our planet. Pesticides, herbicides and food additives have all been linked to numerous health problems, including cancer, nervous system disorders, birth defects, alterations in DNA, liver, kidney, lung and reproductive problems, weakened immune systems, allergies, hyperactivity in children and neurotoxicity resulting in poor concentration and reduced mental functioning and clarity. In 1987, The National Academy of Sciences concluded that in your lifetime, non-organic foods will cause more than a million additional cases of cancer. These poisons are especially harmful to small children and their developing bodies. Organic foods also contribute to the health of the soil and water and increase the nutrient content of foods while decreasing toxic pollution of our land and water supply.
2. Choose Green Household Products - The products you use in and around your home have a direct impact on your health. The average american uses about 25 gallons of "TOXIC" or "HAZARDOUS" chemical products per year in their home. A major portion of these can be found in household cleaning products. The most acutely dangerous cleaning products are corrosive drain cleaners, oven cleaners, and acidic toilet bowl cleaners. Labels that come with detailed warnings stating, "Danger" or "Poison" are good indications that these products are not safe. Once used in your home, these products are flushed down the drain and end up in our environment. In a May 2002 study of contaminants in stream water samples across the country, the U.S. Geological Survey found persistent detergent metabolites in 69% of streams tested. Sixty-six percent contained disinfectants. Garden and lawn products also pose a potential risk. A study found children in homes where household and garden pesticides are used, have a sevenfold greater chance of developing childhood leukemia. Look for products that are biodegradable and toxin free. Seventh Generation is a good brand. http://www.seventhgeneration.com/products
3. Buy Organic Personal Care Products - The average American woman uses about 12 personal care products per day, the average man 6. Each product containing about a dozen or so chemicals which equates to about 150 toxic chemicals being used on your body DAILY. Some of these chemicals are carcinogens others are neurotoxins while others still are reproductive toxins, but only about 20% of all body care products have been tested for their health effects. That leaves 80% of personal care product chemicals whose effects are completely unknown. Choose products that are completely natural, this means having ingredients that you know and are familiar with. Buy from companies whose commitment is to the preservation of health in every way. Most importantly READ LABELS! Companies who are committed to natural products make it well known on their labels such as "cruelty free, paraben free, eco friendly" and other environmentally and health safe labeling. RAW VITALITY offers a non-toxic, environmentally friendly skin care line which reverses and protects the skin from environmental toxicity. It will be featured on our site in the next couple weeks!
4. Eat Whole - Foods that are processed or refined, meaning they come in a box, can, package or other container are filled with additives, preservatives and other food chemicals. It is estimated that American spend about 90% of their food budget on processed and refined foods, which means 90% of what you eat is contaminated with toxic chemicals. The effect of processed versus natural foods effect on the immune system was tested and documented. It was found, the intake of processed foods so disturbed the pattern of white blood cells of the immune system, that the disturbed pattern of the cells looked identical as the white blood cell patterns seen in infections. Further found, when processed meats were ingested, such as hot dogs and salami, the white blood cell pattern looked the same as is seen in sever food poisoning. Yuck! Stick with foods that are whole and have only 1 ingredient, that food! For instance the ingredients in a head of lettuce: lettuce, in an orange: orange. when you do have to buy a canned, boxed or packaged food make sure it is organic and read the labels. If there are words you cannot pronounce or do not know, put it back on the shelf. With a little bit of practice and awareness it is easy to switch to a 100% whole food diet. Fresh made organic tomato sauce is so much better then that jarred stuff anyway.
5. Cleanse - No matter how conscious you are about your own personal lifestyle the fact is we live in a toxic environment. As the body is overwhelmed with toxic substances, food chemicals and additives, stress, negative thinking, poor nutritional choices such as unhealthy fats, sugar and processed foods it begins to slow and is unable to effectively eliminate the amount of toxicity that is being brought into the body. The un-eliminated toxins begin to accumulate, mostly within the fatty tissues in the body and organs and there they remain. These retained toxins slow down body processes and systems depleting energy, clouding the mind and causing health symptoms to begin to emerge. The impact over time on the mind, body, body organs, systems and processes is substantial and detrimental. Cleansing is one of the best approaches to preventative health care and an important component in a healthy, natural lifestyle. Raw Vitality offers a 7 and 30 day whole, organic cleanse that can help reverse toxic damage done to your body and increase your overall health and vitality.
Raw Vitality also offers a wide variety of pharmaceutical grade natural supplements, health and skin care products to live your more healthy and vibrant life! Much more naturally cool stuff to come in the coming months from Raw Vitality.